Immediate Action Needed!
The House Public Health Committee has reported our package bill HB 1875 favorably out of committee. It has been referred to the House Calendars Committee for consideration of assignment to the House Floor for a vote.
We at TSHA need an immediate referral to the House Floor for a vote. Please email members of the Calendars Committee (listed below) and request that they consider HB 1875 immediately.
Include a brief statement as to why it is important, including:
- The Interstate Compact bill will help resolve some of the severe shortages of speech-language pathologists and audiologists serving children and adults in Texas.
- It will allow easier access to national and international experts for the evaluation and treatment of patients with severe communication disorders when needed.
- It would allow Texas professionals to utilize their expertise in other compact states without having to pay for another license.
- Anyone practicing in Texas would have to abide by Texas licensure laws.
- Only those speech-language pathologists and audiologists who choose to participate in the Interstate Compact will participate (not mandatory for licensees).
- This bill will reduce the cost for many Texas professionals already having to purchase multiple licenses to practice in other Compact states. The contiguous states of Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Louisiana along with 20 other states have passed this same legislation.
- Ninety-six percent of school districts report a shortage of speech-language pathologists to serve our school children with communication and related disorders.
Take Action Now
There are many other reasons why HB 1875 is good legislation for Texas. Please use any of the above information or create your own personal statement of why this legislation needs to pass. Regardless, please contact the following legislators immediately asking them to support sending HB 1875 to the House floor for a vote!
Calendars Committee Contacts